Rising to the occasion...

It's week III: Bread! I got pretty excited by the plaits seen on the Bake Off this week so decided to make a plait of my own... in my hair. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now, but before you go getting all disappointed it's called a Starburst Crown Braid and it's bloody tricky to do by yourself...


See? Impressive, huh? Although rather than tucking the end of my plait in I twirled it around and secured it with a floral comb :)

I dressed up for the occasion again as well, naturally, though this time unfortunately the baking did not take place in Eve's cutesy vintage kitchen but in my own, which is not so cutesy. Please do forgive the clash.

So, as I mentioned last week, I have never made bread before. We therefore decided that it would be a good idea to try making soda bread as there's no kneading or waiting; it's quick and easy! We used Paul Hollywood's recipe (all together now girls, "sigh") but I also added some pumpkin seeds as I thought I'd be adventurous (haha).







Paul Hollywood's Soda Bread
250g strong bread flour (I used Allinson's Seed & Grain)
10g baking powder
1 tsp salt
35g butter, softened
75ml buttermilk
75ml milk
1 egg
Pumpkin seeds

Pre-heat oven to 200ÂșC (fan assisted)













Measuring out the bread flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl, I began to work in the butter.

I then added the buttermilk, milk and egg and gently mixed this together with my hands.

Lastly I added the pumpkin seeds and lightly folded the dough a few times for even distribution.

Forming the dough into a ball, I placed it onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and scored it with a sharp knife to form a cross to loosely divide the dough into quarters.

I then popped the baking tray into the oven for about 30 minutes.





The soda bread came out a lovely golden brown and was really tasty. I recommend this recipe to anyone who isn't an experienced baker because it's so simple to make yet can still look quite impressive. Remember though; soda bread is more crumbly than normal bread so when you serve it be sure to cut thicker slices to prevent it from falling apart.

Next week on the Great British Bake Off we have deserts! I'd love to make macaroons or ice cream or meringues, but these all sound rather tricky... I don't want to get ahead of myself and create a disaster but as ever I seek to impress so we'll see what Baker Eve can suggest!

See you next week! Don't forget your aprons; it's gonna be a messy one!

For Paul Hollywood's Soda Bread Recipe follow the link: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/583605

For a tutorial on how to create the Starburst Crown Braid have a look at this YouTube video by Mindy from Cute Girls Hairstyles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faAqxZ6uu78